From: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Configuration managment system
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:25:08
1 On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××.li> wrote:
2 > Without making much use of all the things I plan to implement confsink
3 > is just etc-update with the addes ability to go back to older versions
4 > and a way to list all packages which have been customized. Confsink
5 > should be hardly noticable to the user in case he does not want to use
6 > it's functionality beyond things that automatically happen.
7 >
8 I'd like to see it easier than etc-update and dispatch-conf, while
9 working on your your implementation (if you do) could you check out a
10 bit of how cfg-update (which is dead upstream) works. I like the fact
11 that it would just copy the new file if I hadn't made any changes, I
12 think it should always do merge and only bother me if it's not a
13 fast-forward.
14
15 one reason for not using svn, and cvs, they require more repo's to
16 exist and are less redundant, plus from what I'm understanding this
17 isn't going to have the standard git interface (not a bad thing) so
18 any experience anyone has with whatever vcs is not likely to matter.
19 I'm not opposed to supporting the dvcs' if it's practical, however,
20 because svn, etc require a centralized repo I see it as less
21 practical.
22
23 on a side note, if you don't make gsoc (I have no bearing) and you
24 still want to work on this I would be interested in helping as I
25 wanted to do something like this for regen2.
26 --
27 Caleb Cushing
28
29 http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com