From: Joachim Bartosik <jbartosik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Gentoo stats server/client,
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:09:58
1 Today I talked to my friend about the project and a problem I have with
2 stats severer/ client ( I'm still not satisfied with those I wrote about).
3 He is participating in project which is about trust management so the talk
4 was very valuable. I got a list of texts I should talk a look at unluckily
5 most of that requires peers reviewing peers and I think it would be hard to
6 apply to this project ( I plan to continue reading though just in case there
7 is something valuable for this project). Here are conclusions of this talk:
8 * users are really lazy - if we ask them to type their emails and click a
9 link many will be too lazy to do that.
10 * email-registration can be fooled.
11 ( well I knew those two things but I didn't have any better ideas so I
12 sticked to it)
13 * we can assign level of trust to each host and when creating statistics
14 simply ignore those with low-level trust ( like we trust hosts that are
15 submitting data as asked for a long time more then new comers).
16 * we can make registration resource-consuming ( like solve some NP-complete
17 problem) not enough to make users angry ( run on low priority for a few
18 minutes on an average Gentoo user computer) but enough to make life of
19 people who would like to put a lot of fake data in our DB harder.
20
21 If we combine those two it would be probably both easier for real users and
22 provide better quality of data. What do you think?
23 --
24 Joachim Filip