From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Wayland on Gentoo
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 12:06:18
1 Hi,
2
3 Following the discussion on #gentoo-soc, my Wayland on Gentoo proposal
4 is now finalised (subject to more comments).
5
6 Here's the link:
7 http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/wiktor/30003
8
9 Abstract
10
11 As Wayland is slowly reaching a usable status and packages (Kwin, GTK,
12 ...) are being ported to Wayland, other distros, like Ubuntu and
13 Fedora, have announced that they're planning to support Wayland when
14 it becomes stable. This project will attempt to bring Wayland to
15 Gentoo to enable our beloved distro stay cutting-edge and ahead of the
16 game. Since Wayland 0.85.0 has been released in February this year,
17 and a few packages, like GTK 3.2, are already available to test the
18 new system, this is the perfect moment to start bringing Wayland to
19 Gentoo. This will benefit Gentoo, as we'll be able to iron out most
20 problems before the stable release and the Wayland project itself, as
21 Gentoo users and developers will be able to test it.
22
23 Basically, the problem will involve getting Wayland to run on Gentoo
24 (a simple ebuild is already available for that), then get X support
25 working on Wayland on Gentoo. Afterwards, I will add Wayland support
26 to Enlightenment's core presentation libraries, Qt, Clutter and GTK on
27 Gentoo. The upstream of these packages already claim they have at
28 least some Wayland support. With the major toolkits running on
29 Wayland, any program written on top of them should work, and if not,
30 it should work through X support. At the end I will attempt getting
31 KDE running on Wayland (as they claim that their Kwin can manage
32 Wayland windows).
33
34 One of the more important points is documentation, I will keep a
35 detailed record of all I do, and write a report at the end, to help
36 Wayland, toolkit, and application developers getting Wayland stable,
37 and whoever else wanting to integrate Wayland in the future. This will
38 also benefit Gentoo as it will make us early adopters.
39
40 Yours,
41 ~wiktor.