From: Andrea Arteaga <andyspiros@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Benchmarking suite - Report 6
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 21:51:42
1 After my absence, the development is restarted very productively. The
2 work done in the last week:
3
4 * A very basic ebuild was done and the repository has now a
5 portage-tree structure, making the project installable using layman.
6 * Many lots of bugs were solved. Now the script is much more stable and usable.
7 * Some improvement in the output, which is now clearer. A summary of
8 the operations is printed at the beginning and the nesting of the
9 messages is correct.
10 * Everything is now logged. Emerge commands, suite compilations and
11 executions are logged into /var/log/benchmarks, which makes easy for
12 the user to understand what happens in case of error (or just for
13 awareness).
14 * blas, cblas and lapack are fully supported.
15 * A completely new module "blas_accuracy" has been added: this module
16 tests the implementations of blas for result correctness.
17 * The "clean code" work continues.
18
19 For blas, cblas and lapack libraries, I was using a modified version
20 of BTL as benchmarking suite. This approach is very good some such
21 libraries, but it won't be possible for everything. For example, in
22 order to test the numerical correctness of libraries, BTL is not the
23 right tool to use. Therefore, a different Python module which does not
24 rely on BTL has been introduced. Nevertheless, as much code as
25 possible is shared between BTL-modules and no-BTL-modules,
26 demostrating that the script now is sufficiently generic to support
27 different kinds of modules. This is important, as in the following I
28 plan to support libraries that require a very different approach from
29 blas-like libraries (e.g. fftw).
30
31 For the next week, I want to provide at least a basic support for:
32
33 * Introducing the support for fftw (maybe other fft libraries)
34 * Constructing a basic benchmarking suite for distributed numerical
35 libraries (PBLAS, ScaLAPACK, ...)
36 * Enhancing the ebuild so that the project honors the Gentoo standard
37
38 Best regards.
39 Andrea Arteaga