From: Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] [gsoc-status] portage backend for PackageKit
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:59:44
1 2009/6/16 Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>:
2 [...]
3 > The main difficulties for this project is the source-based aspect of
4 > Gentoo and the verbosity of portage. I mean even if PackageKit is
5 > designed to fit every needs, portage backend is the first source-based
6 > distribution backend and we will have to adapt some things. In addition,
7 > some information provided by portage like ewarn and elog messages and
8 > new configuration files have to be prompted even when using PackageKit.
9
10 So does the interface already allow the PM to pass back messages?
11
12 > So, where are we right now ?
13 > The planning says "every basic features should be done June 15th".
14 > Actually, I still have to do 2 features : list update candidates and do
15 > update. Every other basic features (install, remove, sync, details, dep,
16 > reverse-dep, groups, ...) have been done.
17
18 Sounds pretty cool.
19
20 [...]
21 > What's going to be done right now ?
22 > Repositories management have to be added. With zmedico, we were talking
23 > about doing this directly in the portage api. Basically, it will be
24 > merging layman into portage. It's not 100% sure right now but probable.
25 > Beginning the hard work of messages management and bug fixes.
26 >
27 > I will try, to add needed ebuilds in the tree this week to let people
28 > test PackageKit on Gentoo as it will be "usable" even if not recommended
29 > yet. That's what we call an alpha version I think ;)
30
31 So how are you testing this stuff? Are you using an existing PK-aware frontend?
32
33 Best,
34 --
35 Arun Raghavan
36 http://arunraghavan.net/
37 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)