From: Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Some experiments on Fast Boot
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:31:41
1 2009/4/2 Vladimir Skuratovich <skuratovich@×××××.com>:
2 > On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 02:34:36PM +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
3 >> 2009/4/2 Vladimir Skuratovich <skuratovich@×××××.com>:
4 >> >  wait in the session manager for it to be mounted, while X is
5 >> >  starting up? Not sure what to do with other filesystems, such ...
6 >>
7 >> This would need changes to the session manager, right? Is that really
8 >> something that we want to be doing?
9 >
10 > It depends on whether we just want a system that boots faster, or one
11 > that boots as fast as possible. And if we have such a system, we could
12 > offer a range of configuration options between "reliably boots on
13 > every imaginable configuration" and "boots very fast, but only on the
14 > specific machine it was installed".
15
16 IMO, the Gentoo Way would be to change upstream packages as little as
17 possible. OTOH, distro-neutral patches might work well, and we could
18 ship these with a USE="fastboot" option if upstream looks like they
19 might accept the patches.
20
21 [...]
22 >> Would be nice to look at, IMO. If you need it to be hosted somewhere,
23 >> mail them to me and I'll put them up.
24 >
25 > I've just sent them to you.
26
27 They're up at http://nemesis.accosted.net/gentoo/soc/bootchart/
28
29 >> I'm a little confused here. What system were these tests run on?
30 >
31 > The tests were run on a LFS system (with glibc 2.9, compiled with GCC
32 > 4.3.2 with optimizations, kernel 2.6.29 with a lot of patches).
33 > The file system for both / and /home is reiser4 with cryptcompress
34 > plugin (gzip compression - probably it could also impact performance?)
35 >
36 > The system uses initng, but it seems very similar to OpenRC in its boot
37 > script format.
38
39 The tests would really be a lot more meaningful on a Gentoo setup.
40
41 Cheers,
42 --
43 Arun Raghavan
44 (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
45 v2sw5Chw4+5ln4pr6$OFck2ma4+9u8w3+1!m?l7+9GSCKi056
46 e6+9i4b8/9HTAen4+5g4/8APa2Xs8r1/2p5-8 hackerkey.com