From: listout <brahmajit.xyz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Cc: sam <sam@g.o>, dilfridge <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Week 3 Report for Musl support expansion to support GNOME desktop
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 13:04:31
1 Hi folks
2
3 Week 3 of Google Summer of Code 2022 has come to an end, and with that,
4 I’m here with my third weekly report. I’ve made quite some progress in
5 getting GNOME desktop on musl profile.
6
7 First off I now have, in fact, anyone can have the GNOME desktop with
8 musl on Gentoo Linux. The installation of the full GNOME desktop on musl
9 was quite uneventful. I didn’t come across anything that would require
10 patching. However, one thing I’ve noticed is that GNOME on musl doesn’t
11 seem to work very well with -wayland flag turned on globally. So if you
12 do plan on running GNOME on musl, make sure to have +wayland. Other than
13 that I don’t think there’s much to add.
14
15 On the other hand one can now install MATE desktop, which comes very
16 close to GNOME 2, on musl too. It was a part of my proposal, and with a
17 couple of spare hours at hand, I decided to try to emerge the mate meta
18 package. I did face two issues which are patched [1][2] and one of the
19 patches has been submitted upstream[3]. The two packages that needed
20 patching for getting MATE to install were mate-power-manager and
21 mate-sensors-applet.
22
23 The package mate-power-manager needed two patches, the header file
24 execinfo.h is not available in musl and hence need to be surrounded in
25 include guards so that it’s only included in ulibc and glibc systems,
26 secondly there were some debug backtrace functions that too needed to be
27 run on only ulibc and glibc system hence similar to the execinfo patch,
28 I surrounded those instances of the function in include guards. Funnily,
29 the mate-sensors-applet package needed some include guards to be
30 removed. There were include guards around stdio.h and local.h, for some
31 reason the `ifdef` condition around local.h was getting evaluated as
32 false on musl, resulting in local.h not being included which in turn
33 resulted in the build failing. A similar issue was reported earlier[4]
34 but was unfortunately never patched.
35
36 However, I didn’t get much time to test MATE desktop so some run time
37 bugs can be expected.
38
39 For the next week I’ll begin testing MATE and maybe setup GRS so that
40 other people and mentors can reproduce my environment easily (thanks to
41 blueness).
42
43 Hope this is a concise report for Week 3. I’ll update the blog as soon
44 as the blog site comes up again, it’s down for now. Till then, see ya.
45
46 [1]: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26198
47 [2]: https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26197
48 [3]: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-sensors-applet/pull/128