From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Idea: speed up dev work by automatizing things
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:18:17
1 Hi,
2
3 I would like to propose a gsoc idea that is actually not really a single
4 project but much more a goal that will need to work on a few projects.
5
6 Mart Raudsepp (leio) wrote about speed up maintenance and other Gentoo
7 work[1] in the gentoo-dev and some ideas came out. I think it could be
8 very interesting for Gentoo to have them implemented. Dev work is the
9 very beginning of the distro and having it done more quickly and
10 automatically will be better for Gentoo.
11
12 Some of the ideas which came out are probably not very difficult to
13 implement (cron scripts) like automated version bump bugs[2] and
14 automated stabilization bugs[3].
15 The first one will be a service monitoring ftp servers and notifies
16 maintainers when a bump is available. Looks like Debian is already doing
17 it so it could be not to complicated to do.
18 The second one will be a more basic script which will check when an
19 ebuild is ready to be stabilized like already does this rss feed
20 http://gentoo.petteriraty.eu/stable.rss.
21
22 Other ideas which are probably not so "programming" things but still
23 interesting like creating a dev-wiki wich will improve knowledge
24 management[4] (big problem in the gentoo dev world i think). But can
25 implementing a wiki be in a gsoc ? Don't think so.
26
27 I've read they are plenty of scripts some dev are using like metagen to
28 generate metadata.xml. Probably improving these scripts and adding them
29 to app-portage/gentoolkit-dev could be interesting.
30
31 I thought about this idea when thinking about the ebuild generator. The
32 ebuild generator will surely be a very good project to enhance my python
33 and gui skills but i'm really not sure devs will use it and so not sure
34 it worth the time working on it.
35 However, I don't think the two first services are enough for a 3 months
36 work but I really think this idea could help. But I need more stuff to
37 make it a real proposal.
38
39 May I have your opinion about this idea and may be some hints about work
40 that could be done to achieve this goal ?
41
42 Thanks,
43 Mounir Lamouri (volkmar)
44