From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: [gsoc-status] portage backend for PackageKit
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:04:39
1 Am Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2009 23:20:36 schrieb Mounir Lamouri:
2 > The backend is now ready. You should be able to do anything in a
3 > beta/realease candidate quality.
4
5 That is a damn interesting information. Sounds great!
6
7 > - configuration file update
8
9 In the means of "cfg-update -u" or similar?
10
11 > - messages / warning / errors show
12 > They are not critical for testing but only for a daily usage.
16 > I've already done the portage work for the first feature but I will have
17 > to add signal to packagekit because even if debian also needs it, it
18 > hasn't been implemented yet. The bad thing is GUI will probably not
19 > manage this feature since a quite long time.
20
21 (sorry if I sound dumb, just want to be sure I didn't misunderstand) does that
22 mean that you'll be adding the config updating stuff to packagekit, so we'll
23 have a cross-distro way of telling the package manager to update the configs?
24
25 > About the packaging. I've worked on a packagekit ebuild and even if I
26 > didn't take time to add it to the tree it could be done without a lot of
27 > work but there is not real need at the moment because -as I said before-
28 > without a GUI, packagekit is quite useless and last version of
29 > gnome-packagekit needs a version gnome-policykit that is not in the tree.
30
31 Could you post the ebuild in here?
32
33 I wanted to test KPackageKit since I saw it in Kubuntu :)
34
35 - http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KPackageKit?content=84745
36
37 > After these two features, I will probably have some small things and
38 > bugs and I will move to big things for packagekit or portage needed to
39 > make the backend better. Indeed, there are a lot of things I've listed
40 > that are not really needed for a working backend and too big to be part
41 > of the gsoc. For example, merging layman into portage (actually, API
42 > will be easy but UI probably less) and having a non-verbose portage API
43 > because backends are using stdout for signals.
44
45 Wow, that sounds like great changes!
46
47 Many thanks for tackling them! Gentoo might yet become useful for GUI-addicts
48 ;)
49
50 > If by any chance, you test the backend, do not hesitate to contact me
51 > for bug reports or comments.
52
53 I don't know if I'll manage to grab enough time to do real testing, but I'll
54 try.
55
56 I asked for status, because I think that packagekit can be a huge step in
57 usability for Gentoo, so I was curious how your project works out.
58
59 Best wishes,
60 Arne
61
63 - singing a part of the history of free software -
64 http://infinite-hands.draketo.de