From: Arun Raghavan <arunissatan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Some experiments on Fast Boot
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:04:37
1 2009/4/2 Vladimir Skuratovich <skuratovich@×××××.com>:
2 [...]
3 > - For me, the startup process is slowed down considerably by mounting
4 >  a /home partition. The programs we'd want to start up as early as
5 >  possible, including X, are delayed until the mounting finishes. This
6 >  is especially noticeable with reiser4, as mounting it usually takes
7 >  a few seconds, but I suppose this is true to some extent for other
8 >  filesystems too. Maybe if the system has a /home partition we should
9 >  wait in the session manager for it to be mounted, while X is
10 >  starting up? Not sure what to do with other filesystems, such as
11 >  /usr, which still have to be mounted very early.
12
13 This would need changes to the session manager, right? Is that really
14 something that we want to be doing?
15
16 [...]
17 > - Gentoo init scripts perform a lot of 'autodetection' of different
18 >  system parameters. Probably the autodetection could be left as a
19 >  'safe boot' option, and the real values could be recorded somewhere
20 >  and loaded at boot time?
21
22 You'd need to add some quick sanity check for things like moving
23 hard-disks across hardware.
24
25 > - Instead of cleaning directories such as /var/run, they can be
26 >  mounted on tmpfs and the necessary directory tree inside can be
27 >  recreated every time.
28
29 Might there be cases where these files would be needed to analyse
30 crashes or for forensics?
31
32 > - Placing static device nodes on /dev while udev is starting speeds up
33 >  the boot significantly for me
34
35 By how much?
36
37 > With a few hours of experiments on my system I've managed to reduce
38 > its boot time to about ~15 seconds (not including kernel startup - and
39 > kernel initialization takes quite long) This is on a system with a
40 > 5400rpm laptop hard drive (40-45 mb/s linear read) with everything on
41 > LVM inside dm-crypt. It seems that the 10 second boot time for HDD
42 > systems, which is mentioned in Moblin presentation, is quite a
43 > realistic goal.
44
45 What kind of impact is dm-crypt having on your numbers?
46
47 > If someone is interested, I can post the bootchart logs somewhere.
48
49 Would be nice to look at, IMO. If you need it to be hosted somewhere,
50 mail them to me and I'll put them up.
51
52 > The system uses initng - but the structure of init scripts in Gentoo
53 > seems very similar, so I guess porting it to Gentoo would be easy.
54
55 I'm a little confused here. What system were these tests run on?
56
57 Regards,
58 --
59 Arun Raghavan
60 (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
61 v2sw5Chw4+5ln4pr6$OFck2ma4+9u8w3+1!m?l7+9GSCKi056
62 e6+9i4b8/9HTAen4+5g4/8APa2Xs8r1/2p5-8 hackerkey.com