From: darkdefende@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [SOC Ebuild generator project] Introduction and C&C
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 18:19:15
1 Hi there!
2 My name is Sebastian Parborg and I'm currently a student at the university
3 in Linköping (LiU), Sweden. I usually go by the nick "DarkDefender".
4 I've been using Gentoo for at least five years (I've lost track of the time
5 I have been using it :P) and I've been thinking about participating in GSOC
6 for some time now. So naturally Gentoo was one of the first things that I
7 looked at.
8
9 The ebuild generator in the ideas list on the wiki caught my attention and
10 I would really like to work on this.
11 I've discussed some ideas in the IRC channel but it will be good to have
12 it up here also.
13
14 I was thinking about doing a ebuild generator like a "install wizard". What
15 I mean with this is that it will have input fields for deps, useflags, where
16 to get the sources and how (tarball?/Git?/SVN?...) and the different stages
17 in the ebuild (unpack,compile,install...).
18 However I aim at making it as simple so that it will basically "ask" you how
19 you would build it normally and it will put together an ebuild for you.
20 This will obviously be usefull for beginners or people (perhaps devs?) that
21 doesn't use gentoo. It might also come in handy with small projects.
22 But that doesn´t mean that I'll not try to make it usefull for larger projects
23 as well.
24
25 An other thing is that I will make the generator independet of the GUI so that
26 you can write clients to it in whatever you wish. But I will mainly focus on
27 a GTK client first to get it working. After that I will try to make a webapp
28 for it as dol-sen on the IRC channel suggested.
29 So you can input all needed paramaters on a webpage and it will output the
30 ebuild so that you can copy/paste it.
31
32 C&C is hugely appreciated to flesh out this proposal.