From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] PMS test suite, weekly report #1
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 20:44:34
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 This year, I'm working on the 'PMS test suite' GSoC project. This
4 projects aims to provide a comprehensive test suite to check whether
5 a particular Package Manager does comply to the PMS spec.
6
7 Though the coding period hasn't started yet, I already write a few
8 lines of proof-of-concept code and hit the first issues with my
9 concepts.
10
11 Here's a short summary of what I did:
12 1) finished all the paperwork,
13 2) created initial git repos on git.overlays.gentoo.org (those starting
14 with pms-test-suite*),
15 3) wrote a single proof-of-concept test ebuild, small piece
16 of the relevant eclass and a small test result receiver.
17
18 What I plan to do in the coming week is:
19 1) create the project homepage (I already pinged ulm on that),
20 2) consider a way to note the issues arising during the development
21 and get feedback more efficiently (blog?),
22 3) get complaints about the solution I chose for test<->runner IPC
23 (details below).
24
25 The first issue I hit were IPC problems. My original concept assumed
26 using files to handle passing the test output to the test runner
27 application. Unfortunately, FEATURES=userpriv meant that some
28 of the ebuild phases are run with limited permissions and a few other
29 were run on root's accounts.
30
31 To handle that gracefully, I would have to chown the necessary
32 files/directories in pkg_setup(), grabbing the necessary UID/GID
33 somehow. The amount of hardcoding or guessing involved made me forfeit
34 that concept in favor of using dbus for IPC.
35
36 This means that the main project repo [1] currently provides a simple
37 dbus service which listens on the system bus for ebuild append_output
38 calls, and the overlay repo [2] provides two test ebuilds sending
39 their output through dbus.
40
41 [1] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms-test-suite.git;a=summary
42 [2] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms-test-suite-overlay.git;a=summary