From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: openrc@g.o, rleigh@××××××.org, rra@××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [report 6.18-6.24] Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC (extended to improving to OpenRC)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:18:27
1 Hey guys and gals,
2
3 reports for the scheduled in the last week:
4
5 ON-GOING 1. kill bugs for openrc
6
7 https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=openrc&list_id=1113873
8
9 ON-GOING 1.1 bug 413267
10
11 reproduced on my box, investigating the built in "single"
12 runlevel.
13
14 TODO 1.2 bug 409829
15
16 ON-GOING 2. evaluate other rc systems (in order)
17
18 DONE 2.0 smf (Openindiana)
19
20 2.0.1 updated in
21
22 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC
23
24 later mgorny created a page for general comparison,
25
26 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
27
28 Further evaluations will go to the new page. Old page needs
29 to be cleaned up.
30
31 TODO 2.1 launchd (Mac OS X)
32
33 ON-GOING 2.2 upstart (Ubuntu)
34 as well as trying Gentoo Prefix on top of it (there has
35 been a big block for Prefix on Ubuntu, cf. bug
36 400839). and chaining openrc from upstart.
37
38 EXTRA NOTE 3. found another thread for introducing OpenRC to
39 debian[1]
40
41 3.1 in the reply by rra@debian[2], there are really what we are
42 missing in openrc (ecosystem).
43
44 3.2 rleigh@debian seems to represent the thinking of debian
45 community towards init system[3]: they don't like systemd
46 way of integrating everything. But they really need some
47 event-driven mechanism, which is not well defined by OpenRC
48 (yet).
49
50 3.3 talked with rleigh via irc, conveying (as patrick did) we are
51 eager to take ideas from debian, and impove OpenRC to suite
52 debian's need provided it's of general interest. And I am
53 eager to put my effort to carry ideas into reality.
54
55 3.4 discussed with patrick in #openrc considering the thread, and
56 agreed upon that we can extend OpenRC with some simple
57 helper scripts (event-driven, crash restart/statistics,
58 dbus-like API for triggers from outside) and kernel specific
59 hooks on top of the present OpenRC core. Changing OpenRC
60 itself to make a fancy feature (or fanboy's paradigm) is not
61 good practice.
62
63 In the next step, to improve OpenRC with recent ideas of init system, I
64 am thinking of packaging OpenRC in debian and let it work out of box
65 (maybe the LSB thing is the major block instead) as a practical measure
66 of the usefulness of new features I would have introduced. (I myself is
67 an old debian user for 8 years, therefore motivated to do so).
68
69 rleigh and rra, could you please be my mentor for the packaging?
70
71 Schedules for 6.25-7.1
72 ======================
73
74 1. evaluating launchd, and finish upstart
75
76 2. the openrc single/reboot built runlevel switching bug
77
78 3. try to have a piece of script to prove my concept for using
79 openrc as a "event-driven" init system. try to work with
80 rleigh@debian (rra@debian), as they know what are really
81 needed. and synchronize with openrc herd.
82
83 Cheers,
84 Benda
85