From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Re: Universal select tool: I'm a bit curious
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 05:20:46
1 On 18:43 Mon 30 Mar , mephx wrote:
2 > Besides re-writing eselect in plain C the new implementation would be as
3 > follows:
4 >
5 > Every ebuild with SLOT != 0 would create it's own "module" in a per-system
6 > DB (similar to /var/db) allowing the module listing and switching easy. This
7 > implies some coding on portage and a few parameter tweaking on each
8 > "modulable" ebuild.
9 > The "module" creation would be automatic and therefore created upon a
10 > successful emerge.
11 > Another per-user DB would be maintained and read upon each login for
12 > environment switching (adding a few lines on /etc/bash.rc or similar).
13 > The per-user DB would also allow various profiles per user and fast
14 > switching between them.
15 >
16 > Would be glad to hear some comments from other gentoo/list users.
17
18 What you'll find with C only is that most of our devs won't be able to
19 write modules for their own packages because they only know bash and
20 maybe some python. A core in C might work, a la openrc, provided you do
21 a bit of profiling to show where the holdup is and why it can't be fixed
22 in a higher-level language.
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27