From: "André Erdmann" <dywi@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Automatically generated overlay of R packages - progress report #1
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 00:17:46
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 == Brief summary of this project ==
4
5 The aim of this project is to create scripts that automate the process
6 of overlay creation/maintenance for R packages from repositories such
7 as CRAN and Bioconductor.
8
9 Longer:
10 For the ebuild creation of a single package one needs to extract the
11 package, copy-paste data from it's description file to the ebuild and
12 look up dependencies, which is time-consuming.
13 Although rather trivial for a few number of packages, this is
14 practically impossible to do by hand for repositories like CRAN (>
15 3500 packages), especially 'cause it also requires tracking changes
16 (new / updated / removed packages).
17 The solution is to automate this process and that's what this project is about.
20 == Progress of this week ==
21
22 I'm slightly behind on schedule 'cause I've started writing code on
23 Thursday (spent Mon..Wed with project design), but I'm confident of
24 catching up until the end of next week (June 4).
25
26 The result (in code) for this week is:
27
28 * a (python) module that gathers information about R packages
29 (technically tarballs containing a deb-control file with data fields)
30 such as it's title, description and version. It also fixes typos
31 (internally called 'aliases') so that both 'depend' and 'Requires'
32 fields are being read as 'Depends' etc. I tried to avoid too much
33 hard-coding here in order to make changes by future users (I mean
34 overlay creators/maintainers by this) easy - using a config file for
35 adding an alias, setting a default value for a field and marking a
36 field as mandatory should be convenient. It works, but mostly lacks
37 logging / configuration.
38
39 * a module that uses the R package information to create an ebuild.
40 Currently it is able to write an ebuild (if it only had the data) with
41 inclusion of an ebuild header file (the copyright comment for
42 example).
45 == Plans for the next week ==
46
47 My plan for the next week is to get the ebuild creation (without
48 dependency resolution) done, which also includes proper logging.
51 Regards,
52 André E.