From: Antoine Gicquel <antoine.gicquel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Application Antoine Gicquel
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 14:47:40
1 Hello everyone,
4 I am writing you to apply for the Google Summer of Code projects. I am
5 long time Linux user and I have used Gentoo and Fedora for several
6 years. I learned so much about computer science and operating system
7 thanks to Gentoo that I want to become a contributor.
10 I have recently graduated from the Technology University of Vannes (IUT
11 de Vannes, in Brittany, France) with a technology degree in computer
12 science (called DUT in France). After these two years, I joined the
13 Engineer School of Rennes (ESIR, in Brittany, France) into the
14 information system department along with the advanced CS option. I plan
15 to do a PhD in CS after my engineer degree. During my years of
16 schooling, I have done an apprenticeship and several projects.
19 Throughout the last year of my technology degree at the Technology
20 University of Vannes, I have done an apprenticeship in a startup called
21 Smartmoov located in Rennes (Brittany, France) working in the industry
22 of connected cars. I was conducting the development of the Android
23 application  and I did some research about a new architecture that
24 allows installation of features into an existing application. This
25 experience was a success but now I want to try working for open-source
26 organization I appreciate like Gentoo. You may find my other projects in
27 my resume or my GitHub page (link in the resume below).
30 I am particularly interested in two of proposed projects. The first one
31 is the support for multiple MPI implementations. I have read some MPI
32 documentations and I will inform myself about the current MPI
33 implementation. The second project I would apply for is the Porthole
34 update. I used to use this software but because of the lack of updates I
35 prefer to use the command line. Nevertheless I will be very happy to
36 make it usable again and adapt it to the latest version of Portage. I
37 think I have the skills needed to carry out those projects and learn a
38 lot. Moreover, I can learn the necessary skills very quickly to be the
39 most productive for the 3 months for GSoC.
42 The Google Summer of Code is an opportunity for me to get involved into
43 the open-source world, develop my technical skill and learn a lot from
44 free software organization like Gentoo. Even if I am not hired, I would
45 be very happy to contribute to Gentoo. I would be very pleased to
46 discuss with developers and mentors more technically about the projects
47 and learn more about the team. I do not know if you prefer to
48 communicate in email, mailing list or irc but I will be connected into
49 the gentoo-soc IRC channel as agicquel and very attentive to my emails.
52 You can find my resume online at this link (notice the wonderful Gentoo
53 colors ;-) )
54 :https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pv2PWVn-xLPVREC5-XXh704d-gVtIRas
57 I will remain attentive and answer any questions you may have. Thank
58 you, in advance, for your time and your consideration.
61 Antoine Gicquel