From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@×××××××.li>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Configuration managment system
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:09:33
1 It's an implementation detail. It's not unimportant, but this can be
2 decided once the project is accepted. That being said some last
3 thoughts.
4
5 On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:39, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > I think you're abusing branches a bit, plus I don't want to look
7 > through hundreds of branches (unless I made them)... and even then I'm
8 > assuming only 1 or 2 non remote branches on a machine.
9
10 If you use git directly that is a problem. However cfs will contain
11 functionality to only show branches related to a given package or set.
12
13 > of course maybe
14 > I don't understand the layouts of files in those branches. I'm kind of
15 > assuming that each branch will just have the source of it's files and
16 > not the full config directory layout...
17
18 No it will contain the complete layout. And the root isn't /etc. It's
19 / because not all config files live in /etc.
20
21 Again, it's like git-submodules just that the different modules do not
22 have to live in a dedicated subdirectory. The first thing that has to
23 be implemented is "git-mixedmodules". (Well it does not have to be the
24 first thing, but I think that's where I would start.)
25
26 > to be honest I think your
27 > layout adds a bit too much branch complexity for the normal user or
28 > admin.
29
30 That will all be neatly hidden with cfg and with git grep is your friend.
31
32 Any thoughts on other aspects of my proposal? (Thanks for the input so far.)
33
34 -- Jonas