From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Two ideas: R package installer (CRAN) and per-user daemons
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:22:08
1 On 18.3.2010 16.58, Auke Booij wrote:
2
3 > 2. Per-user daemons. Currently, there are some daemons, like
4 > PulseAudio, jackd, several download daemons, and soon possibly X.org
5 > (which will no longer need to run as root, and really should run as a
6 > normal user), which run as specific users, instead of root or a
7 > systemwide daemon-specific user. There is currently no framework for
8 > launching these daemons at all, and the current solution is to either
9 > make users figure out their own solution (a popular one is an extra
10 > line in .xinitrc), or to set the username in some conf.d file, thus
11 > disabling the possibility to run several of them for different users.
12 > I would like to develop an extension to our current init.d system
13 > which will enable users to write and start their own init scripts,
14 > which at first only run as themselves, not as another user. This would
15 > make it possible to cleanly launch several identical daemons for
16 > several users. This project would involve either writing a new
17 > additional init.d system, or extend our current system. I would like
18 > to know 1. if you guys are understanding a word of what I'm saying at
19 > all 2. if this would be an interesting idea (I think it is, of course)
20 > 3. anyone has any ideas or would like to mentor me.
23 Isn't this something that should be handled by the upstream projects
24 instead of doing it at the distribution level? Also see:
25 http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html
26
27 Regards,
28 Petteri