From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoo Anaconda: pre-mid-term report
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:20:08
1 Howdy Gentooers!
4 *Intro*
5
6 Gentoo Anaconda is a fork of Sabayon Anaconda which is a fork of
7 Fedora/Red Hat Anaconda. Anaconda is an installer for Linux disros,
8 originally for Fedora/RH but now it's distro-independent and many
9 other distros use it as their installer. Sabayon is a binary distro
10 based on Gentoo.
13 This report will try to sum up the first term and what are the plans
14 for the future.
15
16 So far everything the installer is on time and does all the things
17 that it was meant to do according to the proposal. Some things were
18 simplified, others required more work than I expected; however,
19 overall the installer does now install a working Gentoo with an X
20 server and a desktop environment (the latter might be buggy at times
21 as I've not yet had a chance to test all the DEs).
22
23 The future.
24 While developing this early release, I was making a list of
25 improvements and things I would like to see in the installer as well
26 as other tasks which I felt are not essential to produce a working
27 installer. Here are some of the points:
28 - Bump all Fedora packages to the newest versions. There are a few
29 packages from the Fedora projects and Sabayon's ebuilds refer to quite
30 aged versions – I'd like to bump as many of them as possible to Fedora
31 Core 15.
32 - Port the libiscsi patch to a never version of OpeniSCSI. The current
33 version is not only old, the ebuild uses an old EAPI which now forbids
34 multiple Python versions. Need to fix that.
35 - Do something about FCoE. I couldn't get this package to compile at
36 all on Gentoo (and I've noticed it was once available in Portage, then
37 it was removed because of the same reason). Since Anaconda allows
38 installing on FCoE storage, it would be useful to finally fix this
39 package. For now, I have faked FCoE checking (it always returns no
40 available storage).
41 - Compare the sabayonlive-tools package with what's already in baselayout.
42 - Automatically sync Portage and download a new stage3.
43 - Make the screens prettier ;-), and add a welcome screen as well as
44 chapter intro screens.
45 - (that could be considered as part of the previous point) Use a tree
46 instead of a list on the mirror selection screen.
47 - Break up copying of the Portage tree so that the user can see its
48 progress (now it looks like the installer has frozen)
49 - Tune the minimum filesystem size checking.
50 - Do something about the massive list of dependencies. Because of the
51 way Anaconda worked originally (simply copying the rootfs of the
52 medium it was installing from), Sabayon made all the tools Anaconda
53 needs *inside the new system* dependencies of Anaconda. Some of those
54 tools are not required to run Anaconda, and some are never even
55 touched by Anaconda – they need to be installed on the new system
56 before Anaconda proceeds with configuration. I want to hunt them all
57 down and remove them from the dependency list to keep the size of the
58 installer to the minimum
59 - Clean up dead code. Anaconda contains a lot of code that Gentoo
60 never uses, like yum/RPM support, different repositories etc. I want
61 to remove the unused code to make Anaconda more manageable. I have
62 also commented out a lot of code because I thought I'll never use it
63 but left it there just in case – and this code turned out to be
64 unneeded at all so I'll remove it.
65 As a long-term goal, I'd like to move all the packages from
66 anaconda-overlay to the official Portage tree. Some of the packages
67 are already there, like GRUB and OpeniSCSI but Anaconda needs some
68 specific patches for these packages to work – in such case I'd like to
69 add the patches. I'm looking for volunteers that would like to
70 maintain some of these packages – there are 24 packages in the tree
71 and I don't think I'll be able to maintain them all AND the installer
72 (of course some of them will be removed/merged).
73
74 I was also talking to Hexxeh on IRC about a possible merge of some our
75 our projects' backends, but that's still a long time away, if ever.
76
77 Wishing you all passing the midterm :)
78
79 ~ w.