From: heroxbd@×××××.com
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] (draft) final report for OpenRC soc project 2012
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 03:09:05
1 Dear Luca,
2
3 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> writes:
4
5 > On 8/21/12 4:07 PM, heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
6 >> For monitoring against OOM http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Monit
7 >
8 > So monit could be integrated in openrc easily ?
9
10 In the way of runit, yes.
11
12 >> cron/at is too general to document, there is one at
13 >>
14 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml
15 >
16 > Agreed.
17
18 :)
19
20 >> upstart is designed to replace cron
21 >>
22 >> http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/ReplaceCron
23 >>
24 >> systemd recommends to replace cron
25 >>
26 >> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Optimizations
27 >>
28 >> while OpenRC just work with it. For some fancy new feature to be used on
29 >> non-servers, like "run every 5 minutes after start up", fcron can be
30 >> used.
31 >
32 > Not sure exactly what should we add here.
33
34 The feature of cron-like feature in systemd is limited, while in upstart
35 they just replace cron for "cleanness" and integration. I don't think
36 there is a special task OpenRC/cron can't do.
37
38 >> A stub page is below. Still thinking of how to present it. May be we can
39 >> just load it with examples which covers all the cases upstart being
40 >> proud of.
41 >>
42 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Event_Driven
43 >
44 > Yes, might be a good approach.
45
46 New examples welcome ;) How would gentoo deal with udev is still
47 unclear, while I think we can document the present udev features. udev
48 merge with systemd is not a big threat, is it?
49
50 >> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/StackedRunlevel
51 >
52 > Interesting example
53
54 Thanks, it rocks. Now I tend to deploy OpenRC to all my debian boxes
55 gradually for it's flexibility.
56
57 Yours,
58 Benda