From: Devan Franchini <oot153@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc <gentoo-soc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-soc] [Report 8] layman improvements
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 01:23:56
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 This week the following progress has been made:
4
5 1.) Centralization of archive overlay type code:
6 - Due to most archive overlay types being so
7 similar, I centralized the majority of the code
8 in order to allow all archive overlay types to
9 subclass from one main ArchiveOverlay class,
10 allowing for easier maintainability.
11
12 2.) Multiple description field support:
13 - https://bugs.gentoo.org/465730 discusses
14 the fact that layman does not support multiple
15 description fields, but could possibly need to.
16 - The support has been added but isn't complete
17 because the current method doesn't take into
18 account the lang attribute of the description tag,
19 this will be addressed.
20
21 3.) Changes to the overlay-maker class:
22 - github.com and git.overlays.gentoo.org https://
23 source URLs are now supported in the overlay
24 creation.
25 - On a successful write the user will be notified of
26 write path of the overlay.xml file.
27
28 4.) An Interactive session has been added for unofficial
29 overlay installs:
30 - A configurable feature has been added to notify the
31 user if they are installing an overlay that is not official.
32
33 5,) CLI improvements:
34 - The --setup_help flag has been renamed to --setup-help
35 - Support for multiple arguments to one action flag has been
36 added. Users can now perform actions as so:
37 "layman -a <ovl 1> <ovl 2>..."
38
39 6.) Ability to disable or enable overlays:
40 - If a user wants portage to ignore the ebuilds of a certain
41 overlay without deleting the overlay they can simply run
42 "layman -D <ovl>" to have the overlay disabled. They can
43 then run "layman -E <ovl>" to re-enable that overlay so portage
44 can find the ebuilds yet again.
45 - This is currently only supported for make.conf. I hope to add
46 repos.conf support eventually.
47
48 7.) Small improvements have been made to layman's codebase:
49 - layman will now take into account if the user is using more than
50 one repo configuration method when handling the success or failure.
51 This will prevent layman reporting False negatives.
52 - layman will now correctly inform a user if an overlay is supported when
53 running "layman -v -i <ovl>".
54
55 Goals for next week:
56 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
57 * Begin working on a two week long quest to migrate the docstring tests to a
58 full test suite.
59
60 I apologize for the long progress report. :)
63 As always, to anyone interested the source code and my commits can be
64 found on git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/[1] or on github.com[2] on
65 layman's gsoc2014 branch.
66
67 [1]http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/layman.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/gsoc2014
68 [2]https://github.com/twitch153/layman/tree/gsoc2014