From: Jonathan Stepp <jnthn.stpp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Interested in Packaging Scientific Software
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 04:06:53
1 Hello, my name is Jonathan Stepp
2
3 I am an undergraduate physics major and I have been using Gentoo for about
4 four years. I have really enjoyed the freedom and control Gentoo has given
5 me over my computing environment, and I would like to be able to continue
6 to use Gentoo in the future in physics.
7
8 The aim of my project would be to help update and write ebuilds for some
9 key scientific computing and high-energy physics packages. Specifically, I
10 am hoping to
11 1. Write an ebuild file for the HepMC3 library
12 2. Write an ebuild for the caffe deep learning framework
13 3. Test newer versions of the PYTHIA high-energy physics simulation tool
14 4. Writing an ebuild for the Fermilab art framework
15 5. Look for any other important open-source physics tools to integrate into
16 Gentoo
17
18 I am working on writing up my proposal now. I have uploaded a patch for the
19 bug linked below (although the visibility seems pretty low, should I submit
20 a pull request?)
21
22 Anyway, I am looking forward to working with everyone here, either through
23 this project or just in the Gentoo community as a whole.
24
25 Thanks!
26 Jonathan Stepp
27