From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Zengjun Zhang <buptzzj@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Application for Kuroo
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:47:13
1 Am Freitag 03 April 2009 12:04:54 schrieb Zengjun Zhang:
2 > *Objective*
3 > Kuroo is a KDE GUI frontend for software management in Gentoo. From the
4 > screenshot and experience of Kuroo uers, it is very convient to use. But
5 > the latest version is 0.81.0_rc1, updated in 2007. And the offical offsite
6 > http://kuroo.org is no longer accessble. The objective of this project is
7 > to revise the source code to satisfy the current portage tree structure.
8
9 Can you also port it to KDE 4 in the process?
10 To me a KDE 4 version seems essential for the longterm usefulness of Kuroo.
11
12 KDE has some help for porting:
13 - http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KDE4_Porting_Guide
14
15 If need be, I can give you a Mercurial version of the current SVN tree,
16
17 Besides: The website is up - maybe they had a temporary failure.
18 - http://kuroo.org
19
20 > *Abstract*
21 ...
22 > emerge, which can be used by users to install or uninstall software. Kuroo
23 > is a GUI frontend for managing software written in C++ based on QT and KDE.
24 > It provides additional features like filter mechanism such as category and
25 > subcategory, accessing to specific version and USE flag.
26
27 Do you have some ideas how you can reduce the future maintenance cost of
28 Kuroo?
29
30 Portage will change from time to time, so how can you make it as easy as
31 possible to keep Kuroo compatible?
32
33 > *Deliverables*
34 > Revised source code (including the modification annotation)
35
36 Please work in the/a public VCS repository, so we can directly follow your
37 work.
38
39 The current subversion repository is available at
40
41 svn://kuroo.org/repos/kuroo
42
43 > Document (including main modification ideas and it's implementation)
44 > Version Support (tracking the new version of gentoo)
45
46 If time permits it would be nice to have overlay support (i,e, layman).
47
48 > *Timeline*
49 > 4.20 - 4.30: Get to know mentors and fully understand the orignal specific
50 > design ideas.
51 > 5.1 - 5.10: Dive into the details of Kuroo source code, try to figure out
52 > the relative part
53
54 -> just nitpicking: the *relevant* part
55
56 > 5.11 - 5.23: Give the specific modification document
57 > 5.24 - 6.14: Do the coding
58 > 6.15 - 7.15: Test the modification in several circumstance and revise the
59 > errors
60 > 7.16 - 7.30: Write document
61
62 -> some more nitpicking: I think you mean *documentation*
63
64 Best wishes,
65 Arne
66
67 PS: I don't mind the english - your coding skills are what's relevant :)
68 --
69 -- Ein Würfel System: http://1w6.org - einfach saubere (Rollenspiel-) Regeln.
70 -- Infinite Hands: http://infinite-hands.draketo.de - singing a part of the
71 history of free software.