From: "Federico \\\"fox\\\" Scrinzi" <fox91@×××××.no>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Euscan - weekly report #1
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 12:07:57
1 Hi everyone!
2 I hope all of you guys are having a lot of fun coding for this GSoC!
3
4 I'm working on the "ebuild upstream scanner" (euscan), a software for
5 checking outdated packages in gentoo portage, scannning the upstream for
6 newer versions.
7 My main task is to enhance the web interface of euscan (called
8 euscanwww) but for this first days I started digging in the euscan code
9 for learning how it works and adding some missing features.
10
11 Actually I started working on euscan in the last days of April, as you
12 can see from the commit logs
13 (https://github.com/iksaif/euscan/commits/master).
14 I cleaned up a lot the codebase, made some small fixes, wrote tests for
15 euscanwww and in this last days closed some issues.
16 Here's a list of my accomplished tasks:
17
18 - Cleaned all the repo, removed unused imports and fixed all the
19 codebase to be PEP8 compliant
20 - updated documentation and the README
21 - Moved almost all the logic from the Django views to Django managers
22 and reduced duplicated code
23 - changed all the code to use Django managers
24 - Tests for almost all the code in euscanwww (Coverage: 84%)
25 - Added validators to models
26 - fixed a version detection bug
27 - Added json output to euscan in order to be easily processable, outputs
28 some more metadata for other purposes (like scan time or confidence of
29 the result)
30 - Added a progressbar in terminal while euscan is running
31
32 My next steps for this week are starting to include celery in euscanwww
33 and offering the possibility to launch simple tasks.
34
35 I'm really enjoying working for this project and my mentor Corentin is
36 really friendly and skilled.
37
38 Thank you guys! See you in the IRC chan! :D
41 For more information here it is my proposal:
42 http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/fox91/15001
46 f.
47
48 "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a
49 violent psychopath who knows where you live."
50 (Martin Golding)
51
52 () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
53 /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments
54
55 http://about.me/fox91