From: Liam McLoughlin <hexxeh@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Gentoaster - Week 1 progress report
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 01:01:38
1 Hi,
2
3 This summer I'm working with the Gentoo project to create a web-based
4 virtual machine building tool, Gentoaster. Gentoaster provides an
5 online wizard that allows you to customise a virtual machine, and then
6 have it added to a queue of machines to be built. Once it's been
7 processed and built, you'll be able to download your VM image in the
8 format requested and boot it up straight away.
9
10 In the first week I've been working on the build tool itself, which is
11 a CLI application which takes a build configuration file and produces
12 the virtual machine image. In the past week I've been building a
13 script that builds a VM, and currently I have the following complete:
14
15 - Disk image creation
16 - Partitioning
17 - Filesystem creation
18 - Stage3 and Portage install
19 - Username and passwords setup
20
21 Currently I'm trying to get the bootloader installation working, which
22 proved difficult in the virtualised environment I'm working in.
23 Transferring all my progress and setting up a new machine to work on
24 has delayed me slightly, so I'm slightly behind schedule, but I
25 anticipate I'll be back on track by the end of this coming week. This
26 week I'll be working on:
27
28 - Getting bootloader installation working
29 - Adding custom package installation parameters
30 - Adding package group installation support
31 - Improving container format support, currently VirtualBox VDI images
32 are outputted but I'll add support for VMWare and QEMU amongst others
33 very soon
34
35 Code isn't available on Git yet, only just got access to the Gentoo
36 infrastructure today so I'll get everything uploaded this week once
37 things are tidied up.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Liam