From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab@×××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Cc: Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:54:22
1 Am Montag 30 März 2009 20:44:51 schrieb Caleb Cushing:
2 > outside of torrent, like gnutella, we kinda lose security,
3 > might as well be ftp.
4
5 Even there security wouldn't be that hard: Have a central server which holds
6 only the signatures of trusted people (maybe with a list of packages for whom
7 they are trusted) and you can move all of the expensive stuff into a decentral
8 network where people search and download signed packages.
9
10 That is an option for a future which might or might not come.
11
12 All it still needs, though, is a way to mark the binary dependencies of a
13 package in the package-name. With this the binpackage support would be as
14 future proof as it can get.
15
16 And I do like having options kept open - the more Users Gentoo gets, the
17 bigger the advantages of decentral distribution will get.
18
19 Also if the binary signifier can be calculated without actually having the
20 binpackage (from just the available libs) and without having to contact a
21 server, binpackage support in Gentoo can be as seamless as the source
22 building.
23
24 Questions for binary compatiblity:
25
26 "My libs changed - which binary package needs to be updated?"
27 -> portage can already answer that. -> already solved.
28
29 "How do I find the correct binpackage for the new libs?"
30 -> that's what improved binpackage support needs to answer.
33 Best wishes,
34 Arne
35 --
36 -- Ein Würfel System: http://1w6.org - einfach saubere (Rollenspiel-) Regeln.