From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] About improved binary package support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:36:18
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:44:51 -0400
2 Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Philipp Riegger
5 > <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
6 > > But this is definitively not the p2p
7 > > approach anymore which was described to me before.
8 >
9 > I might have to go back and reread... but p2p as a file transfer
10 > doesn't make things insecure, torrent itself is pretty secure because
11 > of how it hashes, the thing is you have to trust who started the
12 > torrent. outside of torrent, like gnutella, we kinda lose security,
13 > might as well be ftp.
14
15 Here you have a central server and stuff. Before somebody told me he
16 wants to create the following: A p2p network where all the data is
17 stored in the network (on different peers) and not on a central server.
18 There you get a really distributed system with lots and lots of things
19 to think about and lots and lots of problems to address. Argumentation
20 was something like, it is very unlikely to get a server with enough
21 disk space to store all packages in all configurations.
22
23 Philipp
24
25 Philipp