From: wiktor w brodlo <wiktor@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] New idea: Gentoo installer
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:34:44
1 Hi all!
2
3 I'm wiktor, I took part in GSoC at Gentoo last year (g-pear).
4 Unfortunately I couldn't spend more time on my project after summer
5 due to a various mix of events which are irrelevant to the discussion.
6 Anyway, I'd like to come back again this year (hopefully all will go
7 right this time!) and I've got an idea.
8
9 Gentoo installer.
10
11 I know we've been there already, and failed (mostly through becoming
12 obsolete though) (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/),
13 that there is Quickstart (hasn't been updated in four months)
14 (http://agaffney.org/quickstart.php) and that there is this project to
15 bring Anaconda to Gentoo
16 (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2011_ideas#Provide_Gentoo_11_LiveDVDs_with_Anaconda_installer)
17 - however, I think an alternative installation method should exist.
18
19 I know about all the controversies that appeared during the
20 development of the original Gentoo installer and I believe that the
21 official installation method should be the Handbook. However, having
22 to install a very similar system on a few computers, installation "by
23 hand" becomes quite mundane. Also, the Handbook has a lot of places
24 where it asks you to go compile some stuff before continuing with your
25 installation - on slower computers this can take a significant amount
26 of time, during which the computer is pretty much locked but you still
27 have to come look at it from time to time.
28
29 I've had an idea to implement an anaconda-style
30 wizard/menuconfig-style configurer allowing you to pick all the
31 options and settings for a basic Gentoo system (locales, timezones,
32 partition layout, bootloader, logger, cron, network, kernel config,
33 portage settings, USE etc.) and when all this information is
34 available, setting up the configuration files for you then emerging
35 the chosen packages. You can then go away for a few hours/days and
36 come back to a basic Gentoo install. It's probably too early for X yet
37 (though eventually I'd like X + chosen environment to be supported),
38 and I've got some ideas as to how kernel configuration can be slightly
39 automated.
40
41 Of course, as with every non-handbook installation method, there is a
42 certain common denominator for which the installers can work, and any
43 complex/"weird" installation is out of question, however I think most
44 Gentoo installs have some similarities. Also, this is why I believe
45 the installer should build a simple, basic (for some definition of
46 "basic") Gentoo that the user can then continue tweaking. The idea is
47 to save some time, as you don't have to spend time waiting for two or
48 three tools to compile.
49
50 It was born both as a reply to some of my friends who would like to
51 try Gentoo but are "afraid of compiling" or simply don't have so much
52 time to spend on building a basic system. If the build process can be
53 automated, I'm sure they wouldn't mind trying. Also, my brother has
54 recently asked me to install Gentoo on his 10-years-old Celeron-based
55 computer and I've only had a Core 2 Duo laptop on my disposal - I've
56 spent the whole weekend and it was still not finished. If I had my
57 envisioned installer, I'd just set it up and go away to enjoy my
58 weekend with family.
59
60 What do you think?
61