From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Package statistics reporting tool
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:53:35
1 On 18:54 Tue 29 Mar , Vikraman wrote:
2 > I've been doing research on this project for sometime, and would
3 > really like my ideas to be reviewed by the community before
4 > submitting my application.
5 >
6 > * User runs a script as a cronjob (or a portage hook ?), which
7 > collects stats on installed packages, and uploads to the online
8 > database. Surprisingly easy to code using the gentoolkit API.
9
10 Sure, one of those two options sounds good. The choice can be easily
11 changed later, but I prefer the idea of a hook that runs after the
12 package manager completes installing a package set.
13
14 People on laptops may not run cron jobs regularly, or at all.
15
16 > * Webapp generates statistics on the packages (top packages,
17 > versions, popularity, packages from overlays). Thanks to ideas from
18 > an old thread on the forums. Devs, please suggest some more useful
19 > ideas/stats too.
20
21 For Gentoo users:
22 - Search by package name
23 - Search by packages often installed with this one (recommendations)
24 - Add ratings. Maybe just via the GUI frontend for now.
25 - Add user reputations and profiles. How many ratings, etc. Provide the
26 option of logging in as user or anonymously for package uploads.
29 Tools for Gentoo developers:
30 - Least popular packages
31 - Search by maintainer/herd
32 - Integrate with Bugzilla by showing # of bugs & linking to the list
33 - Integrate w/ BZ by showing # of tinderbox-related bugs
34
35 For example, a useful search would be ≤20 users, package assigned to
36 maintainer-needed or maintainer wanted, and ≥1 open bugs.
37
38 > * Dev/user runs a cli script to read stats or a gui program to
39 > display graphs.
40 >
41 > I'm looking forward to coding the project in Python, gui using
42 > PyGTK, database using MySQL. For the web service implementation,
43 > should I use SOAP (soappy, which I'll need to learn) or something
44 > like web.py (I've used it earlier) ?
45
46 What is the role of the GUI? Please describe the use cases and justify
47 why it should be a desktop app rather than a webapp.
48
49 Consider REST for the web service rather than SOAP. There's a nice book
50 called "RESTful Web Services" you might like to take a look at.
51
52 > It was also suggested earlier to allow a dev to trigger a popup
53 > feedback from the user. I think that would require the user ro run a
54 > daemon, which will listen for queries.
55
56 It doesn't necessarily have to be instant. Upon the next installation,
57 when uploading new stats, the client could check for messages.
58
59 > Please suggest what details to include and what not to include in
60 > the application.
61
62 Many resources exist on this topic:
63