From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Okupy - Report #5
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:35:21
1 Quick summary:
2
3 I'm writing a CMS for the Gentoo website, that will offer an LDAP web
4 interface, plus it will replace Gorg and provide Beacon as WYSIWYG editor to
5 edit the XML file
6
7 Two important things hapenned: 1) I passed the midterm (thanks to my mentor
8 and everyone involved) 2) I graduated YEY!
9
10 I've left the LDAP bits behind for now (apart from bugfixing here and there).
11 It is working fine, and supports:
12
13 login (with any of user's mail)
14 registration (the admin can specify which OU will be used for initial user
15 creation) (for development purposes, it can even create top O and OU in an
16 empty LDAP server)
17 map LDAP ACL to Django ACL
18 view some user's data (in settings we can specify which attrs the user himself
19 can see, and which ones privileged users can see)
20 edit own data (again, only specific attrs based on perms)
21 edit other user's data (if the logged in user has the correct permissions for
22 that)
23 An addressbook (list of users, separated in developers, exdevs, others (the
24 lists are configurable))
25 I'm still working on the UI, and started messing around with Beacon. It is a
26 very interesting project, which is getting more love again, through a Fedora
27 GSoC project (it even started as a GSoC project). It has two backends, a PHP
28 and a Django one. I already talked to the upstream guys, they showed me their
29 TODO list [1]. Some of those are needed for me as well, which is very nice,
30 since my patches can go upstream directly. I was going to write a custom
31 script to export the generated XML output, which is one of the things Beacon
32 itself needs as well. Another important thing is to load external files in
33 order to edit them. Finally, the git integration I was going to implement also
34 sounded like a nice feature. Really glad to see that we are on the same road,
35 my plan was to not fork the project but keep the changes there as possible.
36 Matt, my mentor, was helping Beacon with the Django part since the beginning.
37 I plan to work on those three features for the next week (weekend included).
38
39 Apart from the above, I'm working on our XSLT and Python's decorators to
40 create Django templates based on our XML files.
41
42 Okupy is deployed in the server, I need a final review from my mentor and will
43 open it to some people for testing really soon (target: this weekend).
44
45 [1] http://tinyurl.com/3g4424o
46 --
47 Theo Chatzimichos (tampakrap) | blog.tampakrap.gr
48 Gentoo KDE/Qt, Planet, Overlays