From: Eric Thibodeau <kyron@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-soc] Weekly progress report [june 9-15/16] Gentoo Clustering CD
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:24:40
1 Well, as you point it out:
2 "If the tool forces the user to do things a particular way, then
3 the tool is working against, rather than for, the user."
4
5 My experience with infrastructures and especially configuration
6 management tools is that you can't have both automatic-easy-no-hands-on
7 configuration and manual configuration of the same application
8 simultaneously. If one attempts to make a "perfect" configuration tool,
9 he will quickly realize the human being is unpredictable and sometimes,
10 god forbid, stupid. Compensating for the human factor is a never ending
11 quest which eventually force the choice between total control over the
12 configuration by the tools or total configuration by the user/admin. If
13 you don't believe me, look at a popular OS called Windows, made by
14 Microsoft. Their attempt at providing a unified "interface" to all
15 configuration and management aspects of the machines inadvertently fails
16 as one almost always has to go into the "registry" to fix something a
17 user (also called viruse) did or didn't do.
18
19 Furthermore, totally interfaced control over a complex backend is
20 also failure-proned. One of my IT colleagues experienced weird name
21 resolution problems that were eventually resolved by deleting entries in
22 an AD using OpenLDAP tools accessing the said AD through a translation
23 backend (the interface to the AD failed to report the keys...even the
24 search engine for the advanced management)
25
26 Obviously, this view is a can-O-worms and I really don't want to
27 start this philosophical debate. My point is actually that I want the
28 project to adhere to the Gentoo philosophy as closely as possible and I
29 can hardly see how this can be the case when I _impose _ some
30 configuration decisions (ie: I'm not asking the user what ACL to put
31 into slapd and how to construct system-auth).
32
33 This said, my approach at modifying the configuration files is using
34 a "general" .conf file (ie: we could call it either a domain-def.conf or
35 local-machine-def.conf file) which (would/should) sources as much
36 information form the gentoo-specific /etc/conf.d file and patch in where
37 specifics aren't defined. If this can be accepted by the powers that my
38 be in Gentoo as an approach to "guiding" the initial setup of a machine
39 (as performed by src_install (or should it be pkg_setup) ) then fine!
40
41 But, like I said when choosing to make the script, some of the steps
42 need to be accomplished in an authoritative manner and in a specific
43 sequence, which cannot be guaranteed by portage.
44
45 Now, following what Donnie pointed me to on the Seed Linux mailing list
46 (http://groups.google.com/group/seed-linux-dev/browse_frm/thread/d5ab069f47de4b76?
47 ) and more specifically this post about global configuration management:
48 http://groups.google.com/group/seed-linux-dev/browse_thread/thread/73cb8a4fef940903
49 , I believe we have something interesting that may result from merging
50 my script into proper Seed Linux Ebuilds and getting some consensus on
51 the configuration definition.
52
53 Eric
54
55 PS: To answer the original e-mails question: yeah, I think the
56 philosophy applies to the project. At the end, the user is supposed to
57 end up with a working system that remains 100% a Gentoo system (with
58 minimal overlay interaction) most of the hard work being
59 auto-configuration to _get going_... The user is then free to go and
60 break it all by modifying the config files, the I will painstakingly
61 keep as close to the proposed ones from the original ebuilds ;)
62