From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein@××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Sparc List <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Forcing package check
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:03:23
1 Some time ago, I'd begun to think that perhaps the Gentoo package
2 system on my SPARC had become somewhat corrupted. (Snip long story
3 about SunBlades and IDE corruption...) Queries concerning installed
4 packages seemed to execute correctly, but "emerge -uvD world" seemed
5 to ignore packages that really needed to be upgraded.
6
7 I finally got around to brute-forcing the portage system into querying
8 every single installed package to see if it was in need of an update.
9 The resulting pipe sequence is convoluted and takes a while to run,
10 but it seems to do the job. Oh, and you'll also need to have the epm
11 ebuild installed.
12
13 epm -qGa |\
14 sed -e 's/-r[0-9][0-9]*$//' -e 's/-[^-]*$//' |\
15 sort -u |\
16 (while read n; do emerge -puv "$n"; done) |\
17 grep -w ebuild
18
19 In semi-plain English, the procedure is
20
21 1. Get list of all installed ebuilds, complete with group name
22 2. Remove release and version numbers from ebuild names
23 3. Remove duplicates, common with slotted ebuilds
24 4. Loop over each ebuild name looking for updates
25 5. Important output from emerge has word "ebuild" in the string
26
27 Someone will probably now tell me that there's a nifty prebuilt tool
28 for this sort of work... :-)
31 Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@××××××.com <> www.madboa.com
34 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list