From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Ultra Enterprise 2 w/ 2GB of RAM
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:36:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:50:08 +0100
5 Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6
7 > Hi,
8 >
9 > Seeing the recent activity on this mailing list, I thought I'd ask.
10 > I've got an Ultra Enterprise 2 w/ 2GB of RAM and a pair of 300MHz
11 > blackbird processors.
12 >
13 > Sadly, I've just tried to boot the thing up tonight and found it's not
14 > working. What I can see is the light on the CDROM comes on and flash
15 > a few times, then the display changes to black - that means there is
16 > a signal there but there's nothing there to see, even after a few
17 > minutes. This box has both a TurboGX and a Creator3D cards in it, both
18 > show the same result.
19 >
20 > Any ideas on how I can get it up and running? It did work before I
21 > moved house a few months ago.
24 What kind of keyboard? If it's a sparc keyboard you should see the
25 keyboard lights flash through a sequence during the power up cycle ---
26 this is Power On Self Test (POST) cycle. Screen will be clear during
27 this.
28
29 What does it sound like when you power it up? Since it is hitting the
30 CD, it must be probing something. What happens if you type in 'boot'
31 after a while, even if you can't see anything?
32
33 After that, it's hard to guess. If it goes through all of that, it
34 sees the keyboard. There are some silly things to check for: like,
35 did you somehow turn the brightness and contrast all the way down on
36 the monitor? Is everything the system still seated well (you've been
37 moving it around) --- with a U2 that's easy to check. Or you might
38 need to replace the boot chip (it has a battery with it, and the
39 batteries will run down after a few years...)
42 I'm fumbling here. With luck, someone will pick this up and have
43 better ideas, or you can ask for ideas on the freenode #gentoo-sparc IRC
44 channel.
45 > Thanks for any ideas..
46 > Alex
47 > --
48 > http://www.munted.org.uk
49 >
50 > Fearsome grindings.
51 > --
52 > gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list
55 Sorry not to be of more help,
56 Regards,
57 - --
58 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
59 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)
67 éí¢‹)j· z{h¢Šà™¨¥Šx%ŠË