From: jim@××××××××××××.au
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:34:26
1 Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>:
2
3 > > >from debian including 2.6.8 an 2.6.12. i am currently using 2.6.13 built
4 > > myself
5 > > >from released upstream sources unchanged except a minor patch to remove
6 > > "static
7 > > int errno;" when the build stopped in a few places places and made
8 > > initrd.img
9 > > with yaird. no dramas and runs nicely. builds openoffice.org more or less
10 > Jim,
11 >
12 > Could you give me a link, or mail your .config please?
13 > I would like to try it out on 2.6.13.4 (vanilla-sources).
14 >
15 > Also, where can I get this patch, or what file and where in this file do I
16 > remove this line you mention?
17
18 Hi,
19 I dont know about gentoo but just like point out the default .config in the
20 upstream sources does work for me, in case that information will help. maybe a
21 patch is not needed with later versions, I will report soon.
22
23 I am not hiding, i just dont have the build anymore as not enough space, but i
24 will build the latest now and post the .config if you dont first. the "patch" i
25 mentioned is just some small changes i describe below.
26
27 I just download the tar.bz2 sources from mirror of kernel.org and
28
29 make menuconfig
30
31 to select the module i required for sound on sunblade 100, something like
32 snd_m5451 from memory.
33
34 That means the .config is the one provided in the sources. I have no idea if
35 that one is good for you. then
36
37 make
38
39 now it will crash and complain at a few times, the file name and line number is
40 mentioned in the error message, and just go into that file and comment out the
41 line that says
42
43 static int errno;
44
45 as you will see it is already in unistd.h then enter make again
46 i did that about three times.
47
48 now need to become root or equivalent then
49
50 make modules_install;make install (per the README)
51
52 the vmlinux is at the top directory. then rename it for example
53
54 mv vmlinux vmlinux.2.6.13
55
56 then make a initrd.img by this
57
58 yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13 2.6.13
59
60 then update the /boot/silo.conf in my case adding
63 image=/vmlinux-2.6.13
64 label=mylinux
65 initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.13
66
67 So it fairly well builds "out of the box" and i have sounds running nicely on my
68 sunblade 100 also video streams using vlc using windows streams but not real ;(
71 hope that helps. it is only describing my experience, it is not on gentoo, not a
72 guide or howto. but maybe it gives a clue to someone?
73
74 i will get the 2.6.13.4 and post my results. and i will post the .config too
75
76 thanks
77
78 jim