From: "张韡武" <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] which is the on-board IDE controller
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:20:29
Hello list! First Thank all of you very much for helped me solved so
many problems (e.g. prompt me for installing 2.6 kernel so that I can
use USB keyboard, pointing out I've linked to wrong profile and wrong
root directory permission etc).

After started to use 2.6 kernel I can no longer access the booting HDD
which was /dev/hda and connected to the on-board IDE controller.
        sappho ~ # mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt
        mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

It seems I don't have proper driver for on-board IDE controller:
sappho ~ # mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt
mount: /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device

I know only one method to tell what controller I have, which is lspci:
        sappho ~ # lspci
        [snip]
        01:03.0 IDE interface: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0646 (rev 03)
        02:02.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6421 IDE RAID Controller (rev 50)
        [snip]

It's clear '/' is mounted on SATA harddisk on RAID controller, so, it
seems the on-board IDE controller is Silicon Image's PCI0646, however I
do have the driver enabled in kernel:
        BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=y

So this is rather strange to me, do I have to enable other kernel option
to be able to 'see' the booting harddisk?

--
锐业软服(国内业务)  http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService      http://www.realss.com