From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>
To: freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>
Cc: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] stupid! I booked an U2 box only to find my monitor won't plug-in
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:40:37
1 On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:20:17PM +0100, freshy98 wrote:
2
3 > Try looking for a 13W3 > VGA (DB15) converter.
4 > Also, the monitor must support Sync-On-Green!
5
6 Sun uses combined H+V sync. SGI (and DEC, and maybe others) used sync
7 on green. Unless you have both, sync on green is not a requirement.
8 That said, nearly all current monitors support separate, combined, and
9 sync on green.
10
11 If your converter does not set a sense bit to tell OBP what type of
12 monitor you have, you will probably need to fiddle with the
13 output-device OBP property to achieve the desired resolution and
14 refresh rate. Consult appropriate manuals to determine the OBP syntax
15 and supported graphics modes. Hint: setenv output-device
16 screen:rXXXXxYYYYxRR normally works.
17
18 Also, UPA is not an external connector type, it is the system
19 communications protocol used in early ultras and for graphics devices
20 in nearly all ultras. Many systems have one or more UPA slots
21 internally, but attempting to connect a monitor to one would be
22 plainly impractical. It stands for Ultra Port Architecture.
25 Keith M Wesolowski
26 "Site launched. Many things not yet working." --Hector Urtubia
29 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list