From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@××××××××.org>
To: freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>
Cc: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] stupid! I booked an U2 box only to find my monitor won't plug-in
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:40:37
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:20:17PM +0100, freshy98 wrote:

> Try looking for a 13W3 > VGA (DB15) converter. > Also, the monitor must support Sync-On-Green!
Sun uses combined H+V sync. SGI (and DEC, and maybe others) used sync on green. Unless you have both, sync on green is not a requirement. That said, nearly all current monitors support separate, combined, and sync on green. If your converter does not set a sense bit to tell OBP what type of monitor you have, you will probably need to fiddle with the output-device OBP property to achieve the desired resolution and refresh rate. Consult appropriate manuals to determine the OBP syntax and supported graphics modes. Hint: setenv output-device screen:rXXXXxYYYYxRR normally works. Also, UPA is not an external connector type, it is the system communications protocol used in early ultras and for graphics devices in nearly all ultras. Many systems have one or more UPA slots internally, but attempting to connect a monitor to one would be plainly impractical. It stands for Ultra Port Architecture. -- Keith M Wesolowski "Site launched. Many things not yet working." --Hector Urtubia -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list