From: freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:10:17
2 > Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@×××.net>:
3 > > I already got 2.6.13.4 emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i
4 > > tomorrow evening.
5 >
6 > This is about building a kernel for sunblade 100 but remember I am not on
7 > gentoo, and am building upstream sources.
8 >
9 > Maybe your build system takes care of all this stuff for you?
10 >
11 AFAIK the vanilla-sources ebuild are the plain sources fetched from
12 kernel.org without any "gentoo patches" added. That is done in/for the
13 gentoo-sources ebuild.
14
15 > The main thing is that a .config is not needed, as it is generated from
16 > the
17 > supplied sources and adapts itself to the build platform. It is OK for
18 > sunblade
19 > 100 "out of the box" subject to the following changes. Following updates
20 > and
21 > corrects previous posts done from memory
22 >
23 I didn't know "make menuconfig" build a default config for the used/chosen
24 arch. I know there are def_config files which I use for MIPS for example.
25 Could this be a Debian thing? Anyway, I will find out tonight.
26
27 > In the end I got 2 errors.
28 >
29 > drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c:41: error: static declaration of 'errno'
30 > follows non-static declaration
31 > include/linux/unistd.h:4: error: previous declaration of 'errno' was here
32 >
33 > and the "patch" actually just edit the file to remove that line:
34 >
35 > drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c
36 > -static int errno;
37 > +//static int errno;
38 >
39 > Did same for drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c
40 >
41 > That is quite useless except to quickly continue the building. The end
42 > result is
43 > a warning about those two modules during make modules_install.
44 >
45 > WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.ko needs
46 > unknow
47 > n symbol errno
48 > WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/bbc.ko needs
49 > unknown sy
50 > mbol errno
51 >
52 > I will look for a bug upstream and file one if needed, meanwhile maybe it
53 > is
54 > better for you to configure to avoid building those modules. Or maybe
55 > gentoo
56 > handles this for you already.
57 >
58 What I do not understand is why you include SBUS stuff at all? The Blade 100
59 is PCI based and has no SBUS components?
60
61 > If you have to do this next step make sure you do not overwrite anything!
62 > make install did not work. I just renamed them vmlinux-2.6.13.4 and
63 > System.map-2.6.13.4 and copied .config to config-2.6.13.4 and then copied
64 > those
65 > into /boot.
66 >
67 > and ran yaird from /boot
68 > yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13.4 2.6.13.4
69 >
70 > the i edit /boot/silo.conf by adding
71 > image=/vmlinux-2.6.13.4
72 > label=mylinux
73 > initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.13.4
74 >
75 Never heard of yiard, but the Gentoo way seems fine to me.
76 After "make" we do "make image" to trim the vmlinux down to a more normal
77 size, then copy arch/sparc64/boot/image (could be /arc/sparc/sparc64/boot/,
78 but it has been a while since I compiled a kernel for sparc) to /boot. Same
79 goes for System.map and .config. All using version numbers and a symlink for
80 to System.map from System.map-version.
81 This is all described in the manual.
82
83 > jim
84 >
85 Tom
88 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail
89 +++ GMX - die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++
90 --
91 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list