From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:21:41
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
4 > Yes, a U2 is *not* a U5. The U5 and U10 were probably the crappiest
5 > Ultra machines that Sun put out. Also, the test was a little one-sided
6 > since the Celeron had almost twice the speed and an IDE chipset with
7 > working DMA :) A 2x300 U2 would "mop the floor" with the Celeron in
8 > that test.
9 >
10 Okay, so I am wrong: is it true that U5 and U10 are worse than U2 when
11 equiped with 300~400 CPU?
12 Another question I had for a long time: does SMP really makes sense on
13 desktop, browsing and word processing? I don't expect dual CPU average
14 performance 200% of single CPU, I don't even expect 120% performance, I
15 thought not needed for multi-process for desktops?
18 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list