From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:26:13
Ferris McCormick wrote:

> So you have two questions: > 1. Will Gentoo boot of the floppy? And if so, > 2. Can you take enough out of the kernel & put it into modules > to fit the kernel + the boot loader onto a floppy? > > I am sure your situation is addressed somewhere, but I've never run > across it. > > Good luck, keep trying, and come back with questions. Eventually > someone who knows the answer will get tired of reading my responses > and will feed you better information.
I think I ran into new problems. After lots of work to shink kernel down to 1.2MB and teste the kernel is bootable, according to silo(1), these steps should create bootable floppy: genromfs -d directory/ -f device -a 512 -A 2048,/.. mount -t romfs device mountpoint silo -r mountpoint -i /boot/fd.b -F umount mountpoint This is what I did: root # fdisk /dev/fd0 Command (m for help): s Building a new sun disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable. Command (m for help): w The partition table has been altered! Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table. WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument. The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the next reboot. Syncing disks. root # genromfs -d /boot/ -f /dev/fd0 -a 512 -A 2048,/.. root # mount -t romfs /dev/fd0 /boot root # silo -r /boot -i /boot/fd.b -F silo.conf seems to be valid root # umount /boot And start the computer: [Enter OBP] ok boot floppy Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ebus@1/fdthree File and args: Bad magic number in disk label Can't open disk label package Can't open boot device So I failed to make a bootable floppy. What do I miss? -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list