From: Nic le Roux <nicl@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:45:57
1 Thanks Ralph.
2
3 It, will however be a requirement to put the modem on the E450.
4 Because of the way Nagios generates the sms's and as a means of removing
5 another point of failure I have to put it on the E450.
6 Guaranteeing the delivery of the sms is of utmost importance.
7 Is there complications in getting it set up on the Sparc machine itself ?
8
9 Are there changes in the Apache config made as a requirement of it being on
10 the E450 ?
11 Something in the list that I left out was postfix, using a smarthost on the
12 network to deliver mail.
13
14 On that note is the Sparc distribution very stable ?
15
16 Thanks for your inputs.
17 Regards
18 Nic
22 _____
23
24 From: Mitchell, Ralph [mailto:rmitchell@×××.com]
25 Sent: 26 July 2005 12:22 AM
26 To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o; gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
27 Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
31 I've got an E450 with Apache, but not the rest of your list. It works
32 rather well. Just install Apache, make a couple of changes in the config,
33 and it's all good.
34
35 Don't get hung up on hooking a modem to the 450 - you could put it anywhere,
36 and simply use email to deliver notification to the email system. I've
37 successfully used an alias in /etc/aliases to redirect email to a script.
38 If you need to know how that's done, let me know. It would allow you to put
39 the modem somewhere you're more familiar with, and send messages to it from
40 the 450.
41
42 Ralph Mitchell
46 -----Original Message-----
47 From: Nic le Roux [mailto:nicl@××××××××××.net]
48 Sent: Mon 7/25/2005 2:51 AM
49 To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
50 Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
51
52 Good Moring,
53
54 I've been tasked to gather some info on Using a Sparc 450 for setting up
55 network monitoring tools.
56 These will include Nagios, MRTG, RRDtool, Ntop and Apache as the web
57 front-end.
58
59 Has anyone here used these packages with success on Gentoo ?
60 I'm a Mandrake user and have no experience with Sparc machines.
61 I unfortunately also do not have a Machine to test with.
62
63 Is there any Major hiccups that I can encounter ?
64
65 The biggest worry that I have is I need to connect a GSM modem to the
66 machine via serial port in order to send sms's
69 Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated,
72 Thanks and Regards
73 Nic
76 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list