From: Gustavo Zacarias <gustavoz@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] READ, IT's IMPORTANT: gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r4 going stable
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:07:26
1 I'm doing gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r4 stable as i write this.
2 It has many bugfixes and improvements, off the top of my head:
3
4 * Niagara stability greatly improved
5 * Improved alsa driver for snd-sun-cs4231 (specially for SBUS machines)
6 * atyfb should properly handle blade 100/150 again, even with gcc4
7 * Lots of alignment fixes
8 * E450 wouldn't boot with newer kernels
9 * Heavy-load NFS oops
10
11 Caveats:
12 Users of Qlogic ISP2xxx FC-AL based machines (most notably Blade 1000,
13 2000, Fire 280R) shouldn't use any kernel >2.6.17 just yet until
14 genkernel is fixed to handle firmware loading in initramfs. On the tech
15 side this involves patching a newer busybox with the gentoo bits and
16 adding the firmware loading mdev patch for it (we don't use udev in
17 initramfs - otherwise it would be easier).
18 We are shipping this kernel stable anyway since we never recommended
19 using genkernel for building kernels so this is a new step that will be
20 required for those machines anyway.
21 I'll be looking into getting the genkernel bits rolling in the next
22 couple of days time willing.
23 Thanks for your attention.
26 Gustavo Zacarias
27 Gentoo/SPARC monkey