From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Cc: Dylan Wakefield <dylanw@×××××××.au>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] [Fwd: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6]
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:10:33
From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Dylan Wakefield <dylanw@×××××××.au>
Subject: Re: Just a note - Updated Sparc Icedtea6
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:07:24 +0000

Thanks, I'll look at it later this week. =========================== Sparc people, I've looked at Dylan's ebuild. It does enable sparc support for IcedTea6, it installs it correctly, and java-config sees it and will correctly enable it. I am not a java expert. However, I did test it briefly with the netlogo simulation program (netlogo-4.0.3, available from third parties) and it can run a few of the demo models (I have not done an exhaustive check). This is a *major* step --- we've never before even able to get this program to load. Thus, if any of you have been wanting java or need it on sparc, please give the ebuild icedtea6-bin-1.4.1.ebuild a test. If it looks good to you, I'll work with the java people to drop it into the tree. It's a replacement for the existing ebuild, and we can easily distribute the sparc-specific parts of the distfiles to the mirrors. Dylan, many thanks for all your efforts --- looks like this might be a winner. Are you ever on IRC? If so, I'd like a few minutes of your time. (Yes, I see that there are time zone issues.) Thanks and regards, Ferris Regards, Ferris -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees) -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)