From: Paul Heinlein <heinlein@××××××.com>
To: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:24:11
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Andrew Gaffney wrote: > >> This is just a guess, but an Ultra 2 with dual 300s or 400s is >> probably going to be pretty close in performance. >> > A small test showed very disapointing result. (This is not a desktop > performace test, only I play with it)
I very much doubt you'll find any uniprocessor UltraSPARC II-based system that'll match the raw CPU performance of a 1GHz x86 system. The better question to ask is probably something like, "What US-II system will give me reasonable desktop performance?" Assuming a uniprocessor system, I'd say any US-II with a clock speed of 450MHz or higher will feel "modern" -- but don't expect it to benchmark like a 1GHz x86; for that, you'd need a relatively expensive US-III system. -- Paul Heinlein <heinlein@××××××.com> -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list