From: Philip Leonard <leolists@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:54:03
1 Paul Heinlein wrote:
2 > On 7/27/05 7:36 AM, Philip Leonard wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm certainly jealous. My E4500 will only run a couple of days before
5 >> it hangs requiring a reboot. Sometimes it will still respond to pings
6 >> but that's all. Never any console messages, just a hung box. On my
7 >> uniprocessor sparc's (U5 and U30) is is very stable but not on the
8 >> E4500 with 8 CPU's. It is running Gentoo with a 2.4 kernel (2.4.31 at
9 >> the moment).
12 > I've got a UP box (Blade 100), so I can't speak for SMP. Bummer about
13 > your E4500. Noise and power consumption aside, I'd love to have one. :-)
14 >
15 > I had the same "hangs without a trace" issue when I tried the 2.6
16 > kernels. Sometimes the box would run for a couple weeks, sometimes just
17 > a day or two. The end result, however, was always a mysterious hang.
20 Yeah. I've been hoping that when they release the 2.6 kernels for sparc
21 that this problem will go away. Yeah, the beast is a little much in a
22 home environment but the price was very right and I couldn't pass it up. ;-)
23 --
24 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list