From: Oliver M A Wilson <o.m.a.wilson@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Myth/DVD/MAME on an Ultra5?
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:55:57
On 21:32 Tue 03 Oct     , Jack Lloyd wrote:
> > This may be a dumb question, but I can't find anything useful via > Google. I'm running Gentoo on my Ultra5, and am starting to wonder if > maybe I can't turn it into a Myth/DVD/MAME machine (since god knows I > don't do anything else useful with it). > > Obvious problems: > > Onboard video sucks - thinking maybe an ATI 7500 AIW PCI here? > > IDE controller is worse - stream everything over the network, or > install a decent IDE controller in one of the PCI slots and connect > the DVD drive to it. > > I've already thrown in a DVD drive, new hard drive and a USB > controller card, just in an effort to make the machine slightly > non-useless. > > Is this completely impossible? Any suggestions/pointers? I'd rather > find out now than after I spend the money on a video card I can't > actually use. > > Thanks, > Jack > -- > gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list
Jack, What is the clock speed on the cpu? I have never tried DVD/TV on my 333Mhz Ultra5 but DivX playback was awful, it can just almost cope with full screen mpeg playback. I think these machines just aren't powerful enough to cope with modern media apps. By the way, is it the IDE controller that sucks? I always put the crap hard drive performance down the fact they are 5400rpm disk. Regards, Oliver Wilson -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list