From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: Micah mood <mjmst74@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Linux/SPARC64 Hardware Compatibility List
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:03:42
I use to have a Sun Blade2000 Workstation, I believe mine was a 900MHZ model.
I concur that it's pretty stable with Gentoo and Sparc64.

I had two issues with it:
1.  The QLogic QLA2000 controller.
Namely because you have to build the initrd disk image to load before you can
get to the hard drive,
at least post 2.6.16 or 2.6.18. May be they corrected that again; not sure.
(Issue was a firmware
blob was needed; I somewhere 2.6.16-18 they stopped letting you build the blob
into the kernel,
thus the initrd was then required and not easy to get setup either.)

2. The NIC, at least when I ran it several years back, didn't auto-sense
properly.

However, I can't say if either of those are still issues or not since I am no
longer at the company
where I had that box, so I don't run the Sparc64 one any more. It'd be great to
know if those
issues were resolved as I do know of another equivalent box that was running
into those same
issues, and the maintainers aren't as savvy - they may not be using it now as a
result. So it'd
be nice to get them going on it again.

Ben