From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@×××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] qfe (hme?) link bug ?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:55:45
I've been trying to figure out what the inconsistancy is in the
sparc ethernet model with relation to link up/down for hotplug events.

My qfe interface defaults at boot to "autoneg on", and 100/full
as verified with ethtool.

if I unplug the cable, I should see a NETLINK event that the interface
is down, so that hotplug/netplug can take action.

This does not seem to happen.
What does seem to happen is that the interface resets itself into
10/half, and the link-detect stays active.

if I 'touch' the interface with ethtool in set mode, say,
"ethtool -s eth2 autoneg on" -- which is the current setting anyway --
the interface finally shows link down, and I see kernel messages
from the driver stating this.

This would seem to be a bug in the re-negotiation code. Link-detect
should be 'no' until we've successfully renegotiated a carrier,
especially if we've suddenly changed speed/duplex.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature