From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] O_DIRECT or buffered?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:56:03
Recently I did hdparm on my Ultra5 box with one standard hdd on-board
(hde), one ATA66 hdd pluged on an IDE expansion card (hde). Result given
below.

One question: why all of my other boxes (all my boxes using default
value for hdds) shows "buffered cached read" speed, but this box
"O_DIRECT cached read"?

I googled around and tracked some mailing list arguements, it seems
O_DIRECT is just another mode than "buffered", which is very close in
performance (said so by a hacker on year 2001), and I could just keep it
as is. But I just put this question on the list in case I am wrong and
could get knowledge from experts ^_^

sappho zhangweiwu # hdparm -tT /dev/hde /dev/hda

/dev/hde:
 Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   576 MB in  2.00 seconds = 288.00 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads:   66 MB in  3.04 seconds =  21.71 MB/sec

/dev/hda:
 Timing O_DIRECT cached reads:   576 MB in  2.00 seconds = 288.00 MB/sec
 Timing O_DIRECT disk reads:   20 MB in  3.30 seconds =   6.06 MB/sec