From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:02:14
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2
3 > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hello. After I get an old U5 box, I decide to replace my desktop
6 >> computer with another UltraSparc. My desktop computer is Pentium 1G /
7 >> 256MB memory / ATA100 IDE box.
8 >>
9 >> What UltraSparc (with how many of what CPU) has similiar average
10 >> desktop performance as my Pentium box? I usually only browsing
11 >> around, use openoffice and gimp a little, vim as editor and doesn't
12 >> use huge IDE like eclipse. What's your suggestion?
15 > This is just a guess, but an Ultra 2 with dual 300s or 400s is
16 > probably going to be pretty close in performance.
17 >
18 A small test showed very disapointing result. (This is not a desktop
19 performace test, only I play with it)
20
21 I tried to compare my Ultra 5 ( 333MHz single CPU / ATA66 IDE / 256 MB )
22 with Celeron 600 MHz box ( ATA 66, 256MB memory). My test is to
23 calculate the complecity of Linux kernel code.
24 (command line: # sloccount /usr/src/linux-sparc-2.4.27/ )
25
26 On U5 it takes325 seconds, on Celeron it takes 257 seconds. They both
27 take almost same amount of kernel time, but U5 takes 210 seconds user
28 time, while Celeron only takes 76 seconds.
29
30 To perform this task, Celeron used 79% of total time compare to U5. So I
31 think perhaps U5 does not perform better than Celeron 500MHz. This way,
32 I can hardly expect dual 300MHz would overperform Pentium 1G, especially
33 dual CPU (IMHO) does not help much with desktop thanks to that only a
34 few desktop applications use more than one process...
35
36 Perhaps I am wrong in this small test?
39 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list