From: "Pablo Andrés Martikian" <pablomartikian@×××××××.com>
To: bm_witness@×××××.com, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:42:57
1 The problem comes from the fact that the firmware is in the disk at /lib/firmware starting from kernel 2.6.18 or something. If you boot the 2617 from the CD it will probably work fine.
2 Anyway even creating a proper initrd with that /lib/firmware the kernel does not load it. Don't know why.
3
4 Of course there will not be a step-back to put the firmware inside the kernel.
5
6 I've patched the kernel to make the firmware compiled within. Of course this is not "legal" because the decision to move firmwares outside the kernel was taken for license issues I guess.
7
8 These are the steps, if you are interested:
9 1) copy the attached .c files in the /usr/src
10 2) modify the linux/drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_init.c in the following way:
11 - after the includes add a #include "/usr/src/ql2200_fw_main.c"
12 - rename the function qla2x00_load_risc() to anything else, like qla2x00_load_risc_old()
13
14 done.
15 recompile the kernel. no need for the initrd. The firmware will be compiled within the kernel, and loaded from there.
16 pablo
20 > Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:26:04 -0800
21 > From: bm_witness@×××××.com
22 > Subject: [gentoo-sparc] QLA2xxx
23 > To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
24 >
25 > I recently acquired a SunBlade 2000 Workstation. As neither I nor any the other admins are very familiar with Solaris, we are trying to put Gentoo/SPARC on the system. However, we have run into an issue with Gentoo 2007.0 as Linux won't find the SCSI hard drive that is attached via a QLA2xxx device - the only number I can get is ISP2200, so I suppose it is suppose to be the QLA2200 - so we can't even start the install, or get to a point where we can even try to compile the driver source.
26 >
27 > I've noticed there were a number of issues with this card in the forums with kernels after 2.6.16. Has anyone found an answer? The 2007.0 ISOs seem to have the latest firmware from Qlogic, which I tried downloading to the system, but we continued to get the "NVRAM inconsistency" message.
28 >
29 > I also noticed there is a newer edition of the qlogic firmware in portage. Does anyone know how I might be able to get the system to use the newer code? Will the 2008.0 ISOs use the new code? (If so, I'm sure I could wait for the 2008.0 SPARC image.)
30 >
31 > Any pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
32 >
33 > TIA,
34 >
35 > Ben
38 > --
39 > gentoo-sparc@l.g.o mailing list
43 Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE!
44 http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

ql2200_fw.c text/x-csrc
ql2200_fw_main.c text/x-csrc